Sunday, January 23, 2011

Baked Explorations Doughnuts

So many things to post, so little time!
But, its not a bad thing I have lots to catch up on. I'm moving in a few weeks, so everything is being packed up and so not much craftiness or baking til everything is settled in.
Lets get back to it with something yummy I did just yesterday! It was the fiancee's birthday, and for a couple weeks he has been talking about how much he likes old fashioned doughnuts. Baked: Explorations has a recipe for Farm-Stand Buttermilk Doughnuts. If you haven't checked out the Baked and Baked: Explorations books, what are you waiting for?! They are fantastic!
These doughnuts were also fantastic! I thought that they may come out a greasy mess, but not at all! They offer three topping options, but Thomas just wanted the regular glaze, so that is what we went with. At the bottom, I'll put the chocolate glaze and the cinnamon sugar (which is just that).
I was also a little worried about these turning out because I had to make some adjustments for not having everything on hand. I was completely out of regular sugar...and I know what you are thinking...how are you out of sugar?! I'll tell you, I had the buying schedule of sugar down pat, I knew how much I used baking, and how much Thomas used for Kool-Aid, I knew when we'd need a refill and just pick it up...but not anymore, because sugar now comes in a 4lb not a 5lb bag! So its all readjusting in realizing when i need to get more.
Ok, enough about the sugar. Anyway, I had to substitute powered for granulated sugar. I searched online, and found that you can do that by putting in 1.75 times the amount of powered sugar. Also, I am a bit frightened of frying. I've never really done it, and it seems intimidating, but I just went in for it!

Since there were only two of us eating the doughnuts, I opted to cut the recipe in half. I'm glad I did because there were more than enough that way. The halved recipe made 8 doughnuts plus some holes. I'm going to put the full recipe here in case you want to make more (and because I don't know how to write half of 3/4 cup).
Lets dig in!
Ingredients:
Dougnuts
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 large eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted and slightly browned and cooled
Vegetable oil for frying

Vanilla glaze
2 cups confectioners' sugar
1/4 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Sprinkles to decorate (optional)

To make glaze, whisk all ingredients together.

Make the doughnuts
Line one baking sheet with parchment paper and another baking sheet with two layers of paper towels.
(I just did a big plate with the towels, for draining)

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour,sugar,baking soda,baking powder, salt,nutmeg, and cinnamon.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, and sour cream until combined.  Add the melted,cooled butter and whisk again.
 

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the liquid ingredients into the well.  With a rubber spatula, slowly fold the flour into the liquid center until the mixture forms a sticky dough.(My dough was really wet, so I added additional flour until I could touch it and not have everything stick to me)






Turn the dough out onto a work surface lightly dusted with flour.  Sprinkle the top of the dough with flour and pat it out until it is about 1/2 inch thick.
Use two round cutters ( 3 1/4" and 1 1/2" for large doughnuts; 2 1/2" and 1 " for smaller doughnuts).  Dip the large cutter in flour and press out the rounds.  Dip the smaller cutter in the flour and cut out the center of each dough round.  (I didn't have a smaller cutter, so I just made the hole myself and used the leftover scraps to make the doughnut holes) Arrange both doughnuts and doughnut holes on the parchment-lined baking sheet, pat the dough scraps back together, and use them to make as many more doughnuts and doughnut holes as possible.  Chill the dough while you heat the oil.




Pour enough oil into a deep skillet to make a layer approximately 1 inch to 1 1/2 inches deep.  Slowly heat the oil over medium -high heat until it is 365 to 370 degrees F.
 While you are waiting for the oil to reach temperature, make the assorted toppings. For vanilla glaze, whisk all ingredients together.


Fry the doughnuts
Once the oil reaches temperature, gently lift the large doughnuts off the baking sheet and place them in the hot oil.  Do not crowd the skillet-make no more than 3 doughnuts at a time.  Once they have browned on one side (this takes 2-3 minutes), turn them over with tongs or a slotted spoon and continue to cook for another minute or just until browned (they can overcook or burn rather quickly).  Using a slotted spoon, transfer the doughnuts to the paper towel lined baking sheet and continue to fry the rest of the dough until finished.  The doughnut holes will cook faster and can be made in two or three batches after the doughnuts are done.




Once everything is fried, dip the doughnuts in the glaze and serve! They are best served warm and fresh, but still good the next morning.

Here are the recipes for the chocolate and cinnamon toppings that I didn't use, but sound yummy!
Chocolate
4 ounces good quality dark chocolate (60-70%), coarsely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Sprinkles to decorate (optional)
Place the chopped chocolate in a medium wide-mouthed bowl.  In a small saucepan, heat the cream until it is just about to boil.  Pour the cream over the chocolate and wait 1 minute.  Whisk until smooth.  Whisk in the butter.  Keep the mixture warm.

Cinnamon
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cinnamon
Whisk together.

No comments:

Post a Comment